Saturday, 14 January 2012

Botany of Arrogance

Pollan, M. 2002. Introduction: The Human Bumblebee. pg. xiii-xxv in The Botany of Desire. Random House, New York & Toronto.


Wow. I want to start with the disclaimer that I think.... I think, I really actually like Michael Pollan, because the things I've read and heard from him before have delighted, inspired and excited me.
But man. This intro to The Botany of Desire deeply offends me!
It all strikes me the wrong way. He says this book “aims to put us back in the great reciprocal web that is life on Earth.” And yet in practically the ENTIRE intro he uses language to explain himself that is: dominating, competitive, overly-masculine (in my view) and based in metaphors of conflict. After reading this I'm not sure I like him anymore. I'm not sure I feel he's on the same side I am.
And I used to.
It's funny because I watched a video on TED only a couple of weeks ago that was basically 10 minutes of him summing up his main idea from this book in words (http://www.ted.com/talks/michael_pollan_gives_a_plant_s_eye_view.html). I watched the video and loved it. But reading his writing tonight, all I can think is how arrogant he seems.
Toward the beginning of the intro, he says he had “always regarded” the plants in his garden as “objects of his desire.” Really? He says he realized that May day when the idea for this book came to him, hey, plants have feelings too. They have a point of view and a reality. Whoa, Michael Pollan. What a big revelation! Wow! Good for you for recognizing something outside of yourself. Perhaps the guy was steeped in industrial civilized culture's norms as we all are unless we're not. I think what really irks me is that he purports to be outside of that point of view, and yet continually uses its metaphors and its language to explain himself.
Some examples.
(And this is my own personal reaction and opinion here.)
He is talking about dogs and wolves, describing how human beings tend to respect and revere wolves more, for their wildness, as opposed to dogs, which are domesticated. He writes, “Evolution may reward interdependence, but our thinking selves continue to prize self-reliance.” He is attempting to make the point that dogs are interdependent and wolves are self-reliant. How short-sighted and arrogant. Wolves are not apart from interdependence. Just because they are not interdependent WITH HUMAN BEINGS does not mean they do not depend and interact with other elements. Clearly they do. They are alive. The reason it's so annoying he makes points like this is because his OWN point is about how EVERYTHING is natural. He's trying to get us to see “after we read his book,” that things are not 'other' to us, that we are through-and-through natural, and that so is everything, in a series of relationships. So why, Michael Pollan, should wolves be any different. They are in a web of relationships just like the rest of it.
The most annoying thing is that I agree with his overall aim, yet the language he is using and the way he appears to be going about making his point completely disagrees with me.
More examples.
He's incredibly human-centric, quite oddly so since this book is about respecting nature. Let me explain in what way I mean.
He appears to be arrogant on the part of humans. “The species that have spent the last ten thousand or so years figuring out how best to feed, heal, clothe, intoxicate and otherwise delight us have made themselves some of nature's greatest success stories.”
He is defining success as taking over the most habitat. Is this success? In an overall biosphere and diversity sense, is this success, or destruction? He seems to narrowly define success as having the most habitat, spreading the most genes (again back to the extremely masculine point of view), and for example, “fighting” against trees, as wheat and corn are said to do, to get humans to plant them.
(And just to be clear, I value masculinity very much, but I value it in balance. Our culture is already out of balance in this way.)
Who says the trees and the corn couldn't get along? I am not denying that competition exists, but I am denying that it's the only or predominant factor at play.
Michael Pollan seems to have had some sort of aversion or ignorance prior to his 'revelation' of the notion of being “acted upon” by other forces. “Being remade,” “being the objects” of other species' “designs and desires”--these are all things that seem novel to him, and I can't help but draw the analogy that Michael Pollan is a straight male who is trying to reconcile himself and other straight males to the notion that something could “act upon” him rather than him “acting upon” it, as he has always been taught is his place to do. Oh, Micheal Pollan, how amazing you are for letting people know that this actually takes place.
I'll lay off here. He does have a good message, even if I am completely annoyed with how he is presenting it.
It's not normal for people in industrial civilization(s) to recognize that other parts of the natural world have perspectives, sentience, motives and desires. He is bringing that to light and that is a good thing.
It's just so frustratingly preliminary in a way that I didn't expect his writing to be.
I expected more from him.
More revolution, more paradigm-shifting; not this half-ass*d mainstream bullsh*t with a little bit of 'new' perspective thrown in.
The idea I very much appreciate from this introductory section is that, “These four plants have something important to teach us about these four desires—that is, about what makes us tick.” I'll look forward to reading more from him in this book about this, and hopefully, learn to like him again in the course of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment